Introduction to Tekstitohter´s servicesI edit Estonian translations and original texts in the following subject areas:
- websites of companies and institutions (incl. blog entries)
- educational materials
- books, yearbooks
- magazines, brochures, flyers
- development plans, projects, drafts
- articles, promotional materials, press releases
- graduation theses and other researches
If You are interested in my services, please feel free to contact me via e-mail and provide me with the following data:
- the service You are interested in
- total number of characters with spaces (source text)
- time of sending me the draft
- the due date for me
- file format
- at least a few pages of most characteristic excerpt of the work to be edited (in the case of research the main part, not introduction nor summary)
What is what?
* Reviewing is only suitable for texts that have already been edited/proofread or written in excellent Estonian.
+ The purpose of reviewing is to find the last minor (mostly grammatical) errors left in the text and thus grind the text to perfection. Punctuation, spelling, space and hyphen errors are corrected, as well as misleading use of pronouns and completely vague or misunderstanding expressions of thought.
+/– Prominent substantive inaccuracies, logical errors, repetitions and dubious facts are noted but not corrected. The author's attention is drawn to obvious technical and formal shortcomings, but they are not eliminated. In the case of translated texts, the target text is not compared with the source text.
– No style or content corrections or fact checks are made. The correspondence between the table of contents and the references is not checked.
= Reviewing results in text that follows the orthographic and spelling rules. The premise of reviewing is that substantive corrections have already been made in the previous (copy editing/proofreading) stage.
* Includes reviewing.
+ Substantive inaccuracies and logical errors are corrected, the wording, sentence and style are adjusted and harmonized, including the reduction of the bureaucratic style. Suspicious facts are checked and corrected using handy sources. In case of doubt, the source text will also be reviewed, and if necessary, a more appropriate translation will be provided.
+/– Inappropriate expressions, suspicious terms and repetitions are pointed out or corrected. The author's attention is drawn conspicuous technical and formal shortcomings (e.g. table of contents and non-compliance of the references) but will not be eliminated.
= The copy editing task results with linguistically correct, unambiguous, understandable and fluent logical text.
! Copy editing presupposes the client's readiness to answer substantive questions that the editor has encountered in the course of work.
* Includes proofreading and copy editing.
+ Factual, term, link, citation and in-text citations are made (including page numbers) using authoritative sources and, where appropriate, experts. All logical and substantive errors are eliminated and, if necessary, the text structure is amended and the correct forming is made. In the case of translated texts, it is checked whether the meaning of the entire sentence of the source text has been accurately and correctly conveyed in the translation as well.
= Content editing results in the highest quality smooth and logical text with verified data.! Editing the content requires close cooperation between the editor and the end client.
* This is the last pre-print review of a PDF file after formatting and layout of the edited text.
+ During review it will be checked that all hyphens are in the correct place; that there are no missing or unnecessary spaces or foreign symbols instead of characters; that the spacing of words and lines is not too large or small; that there is no single syllable at the beginning of a line or page; that all text is visible and that the text is formatted correctly (fonts, titles, lists, figures, tables, page numbers etc.).
– At this stage, no substantive or spelling corrections are made and the entire text is not read. Generally, the reviewer only makes comments on the file, corrections are entered by the customer's technical editor, designer or layout designer.
= After entering the editor's comments, the result is a print-ready file with the correct-looking text.